Petroleum and chemicals are most commonly stored underground in tanks. Unfortunately, a major source of environmental liability contamination stems from leaking underground storage tanks (USTs). Releases from tanks affect soil and groundwater and can severely impact the value of real property assets. Regulated removal and closure of UST systems can be a lengthy and costly process. AMRC’s experience can help reduce costs while ensuring a quick and effective resolution.
AMRC is a provider of turnkey UST soil and groundwater removal services. We have assessed facility compliance with regulations governing underground storage tank (UST) management and conducted full-scale investigations and feasibility studies at sites with leaking USTs throughout Florida.
Our Underground Storage Tank Services Include:
Underground Storage Tank Compliance Management
Based on the data collected during the assessment, AMRC can design an effective and cost-conscious remedial approach which may include:
AMRC’s staff includes a Florida licensed Professional Engineer, who has successfully completed numerous remediation projects throughout Florida. We can provide and coordinate all necessary permitting, equipment, product removal and disposal, and environmental sampling. Our services also include preparation of all required reports and submittal to the regulatory agency.
Florida’s Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) Low Score Site Initiative (LSSI)
Sites with leaking underground storage tanks were evaluated by FDEP and received a ranking from 1 to 100. State and federal money has been made available to pay for the remediation of these contaminated sites. The state of Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has initiated a program called “Low Score Site Initiative” or LSSI for sites ranked below 30.
The LSSI is strictly voluntary and has a limited funding cap of $30,000 per site. Additionally, a maximum of 10 sites per responsible party are allowed to participate during each fiscal year. Funding is provided on a first come-first served basis. There are over twelve thousand eligible sites and only about 300 will be worked on annually under the currently approved bill.
There are three different potential outcomes that can be determined through the LSSI program:
1. Site Rehabilitation Completion Order (SRCO) where there was no evidence of contamination identified during the investigation;
2. LSSI No Further Action Order (NFA) where there was minimal contamination detected and the contaminated plume is found to be either stable or shrinking and the plume is not a threat to human health or the environment.
3. LSSI NFA with conditions (NFAC) where minimal contamination was detected, but the top two feet of soil is contaminated.
The benefits for site and business owners that participate in the LSSI program include:
- Obtaining valuable information about the property for little to no cost to the site owner
- Under the current funding, the property owner/responsible party is not required to pay deductibles
- Potentially increasing the property’s value
- Limit liability to both the seller and buyer
- Allow a greater sales potential for the site owner
- Acceptance into the program in the future may be limited due to budget or regulatory constraints so participation now may be the answer to resolving open discharges at the site
There may be little or no cost for participation in the program but you must choose a Designated Cleanup Contractor
Florida DEP Site Characterization Screening Initiation
Beginning January 1, 2013, the BPSS Administrative Services Contractor commenced the initial contractor designation form (CDF) confirmation/solicitation and site manager assignment process for Site Characterization Screening (SCS) at eligible sites with priority scores of 31 points and below at an approximate rate of 90 per month starting with the oldest eligibility dates first.
AMRC Environmental can assist the property owner or Responsible Party as the Designed Cleanup Contractor for the site. AMRC offers a no-cost initial consultation. Please contact us to discuss your eligibility in the programs 239-936-8266.